Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

To all who commented:
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for your comments. I look soooo forward to them! I am sorry Julia I wish I could update you as well! Johnson's you rock! Dave, surprise that woman of yours with something special, you know she deserves it!
James, I am glad to do anything I can for you guys! Just wait till you read further on!
Roxanne, do we know you?

Ok, to explain todays title. I am using the "idealogy" that these orphanages are horrible and the nurses are too. However, I think to accurate explain the situation at least at our orphanage, I would say these ladies are vastly misguided on disablities like their whole culture seems to be. I believe Misha (Mini-me) is starting to open their eyes to the potential they have. I think if we could educate them more, these nurses would be outstanding care givers. At least most of the ones I have come in contact with. I was talking to this very sweet nurse, that knows a little English, about Misha and Zhenya and I was asking if they were friends. The reason I said that was that I was thinking Zhenya will be said when I leave with Misha. Her response was "they are my friends and I will be sad when they go." I have come across so many nurses here that truly do care for these kids with disabilities. I am not being biased. I observe them and see how they do care. It is a real shame I don't speak Russian because I would love to share the gospel with them and also child care techniques. So to explain the title, I think some parents see them as the enemy, and I would encourage you to really show compassion to them and be yourself. I know RR says every parents experience is different and to some extent that is true. However, I started this journey here with the "fear" of this place and these people. After the first half day of trying to be someone I am not, I realized Christs call does not stop at the US border, but we are to be His light to all the world! So I would encourage you to let your Light shine! I cannot tell you how many times I have seen God open doors for me here because I have fearlessly decided to be His ambassador! Today, I had a lady at one of the stores I used to live by(over a week ago) just come up to me as I was standing outside her store for the first time in a week, and in her best English say Hello with a smile. I thought wow, she remembered for one, but for two how the Light penetrates the darkness! Now don't be nieve and foolish, but be wise and loving! I would encourage really the dads, but maybe the moms' to other ladies, but definitely not other men! I have seen the perversion clearly in the men here, and so I do want to caution you ladies that come. Since I could not keep this short, even if you don't like your nurses, the best rule of thumb here is to heed todays title with all the grace God gives you! After all, "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them." Luke 6:32
All right, off my soap box.
Today I felt horrible again I was really late to get to him this morning. Partly for oversleeping and partly trying to make the trip faster by taking unknown buses and then having to wait for the correct ones! I felt like a real bad Papa! You know that saying it's not quantity but quality, it really applies here! He just lights up when he sees me! It is awesome. The other cool part is the nurses let me stay till almost 1 today. I got to see him eat, go potty on the potty, and I got to lay him in his crib for his afternoon nap! HOW AWESOME IS THAT? He was soo good, I just laid him in his crib, and said goodbye and he just laid there and went to sleep! That was really nice! So whomever Zhenyas parents are I hope you don't mind me posting this picture, but I can't resist!
They are two buddies trying to be boys! This picture does not do this moment justice! I was soo happy!

So I spent some more time with nurses and I had a teenage boy there to help almost interpret! It was cool! Then I left, I stopped by a shop and negotiated really well for a couple souveniers. I was proud of myself!
Then I got to spend the rest of my time with the Godwin's! God bless you guys as you head to Kiev tomorrow and I will be praying you make your flight home on Friday!
Then I went back and got some more Pampers from that man that got me the mosquitoe repelent. He again gave me some balloons for the kids at the orphanage! Talk about a good way to keep me coming back! Still he was very glad for me and was welcoming me a lot today! May God have mercy on him! I also stopped by my bakery ladies and had a great time showing them pictures of what they call in their best English "beautiful girls"! These ladies are soo sweet. I keep forgetting to snap their picture but I will! Man, nothing like hot and fresh pastries! There is this boy that I like giving a grievna to. His mom is one of the market ladies, and he is probably 8. It is just so cool to see a young man respect and work for his mom like he does. He keeps trying to tell me No, I keep throwing it on the ground, he even chased me today. But I told him, he is a good boy and buy some candy! He respected what I said. Oh some of these people I will miss! Well with my pampers I headed to the orphanage. It was raining again! So Misha and I spent some time inside, trying to Skype Mama, but she did not answer! Then we watched a little bit of Ice Age, and then we went outside because the rain stopped. We finally Skyped Mama, and I do believe it probably made her day. He definately recognized her and smiled at her a bunch. Time flew by and I had to bring him in. That nurse told me to sit with Misha, dinner was late. So guess what I got to do, whomever Zhenya's parents are? I asked to hold Zhenya and Mini-me at the same time. BOY O BOY did we have some fun and laughs!!!! He is sooooo ticklish! With his knee bent the front side if his knee cap is a Great spot, and the same with Misha! I just sat there ticking them for so long and holding them. Then I got up and danced with them both again. What a night! Thank you Lord! I also stayed for dinner which was a fish patty cut up and white rice. They love it! I could not believe it was fish! So I snapped this photo and I just happed to get Zhenya in it as well! Lucky me! ;0)


Then my day ended with him. I took the 99 bus back to the city and stopped at this place on the corner called the Chicken house. I think I spoke of this place before. I have met the owner or manager his name is Maltune? He is cool, and speaks some English. I had a cheeseburger and fries, it is good to be able to read the menu even if the English is as bad as mine! Here he is on the left.

So I will leave you with some more pictures again, I got to get home. I hope the bus is still going that way!

Toby

I gave these Roses to my land lady with my wife's permission, ok guess how much they cost. Maximize the photo to see the detail of the craftsmanship. Then leave your guess. I will answer tomorrow!

Have a great night everyone!




12 comments:

  1. 2.00 - THAT'S MY GUESS...

    The Vance's are coming at the same time we are so I know your pictures of Zhenya are absolutely blessing their socks off... As I said before - I AM SO JEALOUS! We have been praying that God would send in HIS PEOPLE to care for Aaron as we work to get him. You are being HIS PEOPLE to little Zhenya.

    When do you anticipate leaving? When is Gotcha Day? Post tomorrow so we know if we will get to see you or not....

    So thoroughly enjoy your blogging!! Hope the Snow White bed has grown some..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, when we get back there you are going to have to bring us to some of the places you are blogging about!!! I'm hoping our last chase for the paper work goes a little smoother than the Godwins!! I'm glad they will be home by the 4th though!!!
    See you soon
    Ken, Nance and Roc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've been following your journey but don't think I've left a comment up to now. I am from New Zealand and my husband and I adopted two siblings from Russia 2 and a half years ago. Just wanted to let you know that I'm another person who is loving reading your posts.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you have to tell about the perversion thing my husband and I are leaving Sunday we are adopting Duncan from RR. This kind of freaks me out a little, here is my email address so you don't have to put it on your blog. aimeefreeman1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zhenya is a beautiful boy! Oh my goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia! I know you meant to say the Nance's right! LOL Yes the photos are a great blessing, even more so because the grandmas are here looking at them, too.

    Do you know how I can get in touch with the Godwin's? If so, send me a FB message or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing again, my daughter and I anticipate to see what stories you will share. Thank you for being the light in the darkness, we pray you continue to bless those you encounter.
    Roses...45cents (Us)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Toby!! I'm going to miss these nightly updates when you come back home!! LOL Thanks for the shout-out!!! Dave's going to write to you himself for once in a bit! I'm glad you had a great day with Mini-Me and what a blessing that you're able to spend some time with Zhenya, too! He's precious!! They're both so stinkin' cute! Thanks for loving them so well! THANK YOU for letting God use you! What an inspiration!! I think I'm ready to adopt!! :o) We love you, Toby! Praying for you always!!! xxxooo Dave, Trish & the girls :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Toby Dude! This is Dave! The hugger has come to visit! I want you to know that I really enjoy reading about your experiences over there. It has really touched our lives back here. I've been praying for you throughout my day. I'm very proud of you and I'm thankful for the way you're trusting God and completely relying on Him to lead you through this. I'm sure that it can get pretty lonely at times....Hang in there! The end is near! Love you, man! See you soon!! Dave
    PS I just LOVE the name "Mini-Me!" That just really touched my heart! I can't wait to meet "Mini Me" and to give you both a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So love your posts! So cool the things the Lord is teaching you!! So great that your light is shinning for Him way across the world :D
    Okay, so I noticed not a whole lot of guesses going on, but here's mine..Ummm..2.50 (US $)..so now I'm dying to know..what'd those beauties cost ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, my guess is $3.00

    I've been following your blog for a bit now (as well as other RR families) and I think you are just awesome! I look forward to checking in with your blog daily; you've got a flair for storytelling and the pics are the highlight, so keep 'em coming! I have to say that your little man is just ADORABLE, and how blessed you are :)

    Got hooked on RR thx to the Sanchez family and their journey to Sofia. I absentmindedly picked up a local parents' publication at the gym, and flipping through, found their story in there... I haven't been the same since. I have been truly touched by so many of these beautiful children and families willing to save them. I pray that we may be able to step out in faith like that...

    GOD Bless You and Your Beautiful Little Man!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My guess for the flowers is $1.00 (US)!

    Thank you so much for sharing this perspective. The nurses are not the enemy, but we know who is. That's important to remember.

    Hey, I have a favor to ask. Could you take some photos of the outside of the good restaurants that you've found and post them? Esp the one with internet? :-) Thanks! It would be helpful for those following in your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete